Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Miniature Hiatus

Somewhere around, say three months ago, Lolly and I were out shopping.   We started talking about this blog and crafts.  
She said to me "I give you two months."  
"Two months!  What are you talking about?" I said.
She went on to explain that every two months, I switch crafts.  Because she has been keeping track apparently.  Well, of course I protested.  Because maybe I do cycle through crafts but it's not like every other month I am taking up a new hobby.  However, it did give me a lot to think about. Like for one thing, is that true?  And if so, why?  And is the fact that, after about two months, I took a break from miniatures and started knitting, an indicator of her being spot-on?  Or is it more like a self-fulfilling prophesy? 
It has been sitting in the back of my brain, bubbling and every now and again letting out a little hiss.  I suppose it is true, and there are probably many very good reasons for that.  For instance, part of the reason I haven't done miniatures in several months comes down to practicality.  We had family visit from out of town, and then we went out of town to visit family.  It wasn't really possible to do miniatures, but I could knit. One day I looked at all my craft books and realized I never really do anything with them.  So I decided to try to knit my way through Knitty Gritty.  I have crocheted for awhile but am only starting to learn to knit.  What I like about the book, is that each project really only adds one thing to learn so it's not so overwhelming.
The first project was to make a chunky knit scarf.  It used only one stitch and big needles so it went fast.  I pulled this yarn from my stash.  I wasn't crazy about the color, but actually now that it is knitted up, I think it's okay.

What about you?  Do you find yourself cycling through crafts, or have you found just one thing you love to do?

No comments: