Monday, April 28, 2014

Doors and More Doors

Well for the past couple of weeks I've been making doors, doors, doors.  Unfortunately, I forgot how I made the kitchen door so I had to figure it out again. Here's what I did.

The DOOR FRAME was cut from 3/16" thick basswood. I cut my pieces 3/8"W because that is the depth of my walls.  The top and bottom pieces are 1 5/16" long.  The sides are 3 3/8" long.  I glued it together and laid it on my cutting grid to see if it was square.

The DOOR pieces were cut from1/32" basswood.  Here are the pieces I cut for one door:
1 door base: 1 5/16"W x 3 6/32" H
4 vertical pieces (2 for each side of the door): 5/32" W x 3 6/32" H
10 horizontal pieces (5/side): 5/32" W x 15/16" L. You will need 2 more for the bottom strips but I waited to cut those until everything else was glued in.  That way if I needed to adjust the width I could.  Not that all my other measurements and cuts weren't always spot-on.  Ahem.
10 panels (5/side): 15/16" H x 7/16" D.  I sanded the edges of these by holding each side of the panel at an angle and sanding it down on an old nail file.













Done!  Now flip it over and repeat on the other side.
 
5 doors and door frames ready for installation.  Well, almost.  They just need to be painted.  Oh, yeah - and hinged.



No comments: