Friday, April 25, 2014

Floors and Stairs

After installing the flooring in the dining room and living room, I had some scraps left that really weren't going to work upstairs anywhere.  I decided to use them for the kitchen instead of tiling it. The printed paper tiles just didn't look right.  I had been going around and around about this kitchen.  When I first started the house, my plan had been to make the house as historically accurate as possible.  But when I compared the dollhouse plans to the real plans in the Sears catalog, I saw the kitchen layout was totally different.  The back left wall is meant to have a doorway opening up into a closet pantry. It was under the stairs and had an exterior door on the left.  To keep it accurate I would have had to add that, along with a drop down ironing board next to it.  Then I would have had to glue the sink and cabinets to the removable wall.  This is only the second house I have ever made and thinking about it was making my head hurt.  I decided since it was a kit house, theoretically the family could have decided not to do any of that, and the whole kitchen could have been completely updated at some point. 


After I resolved all that, I installed the stairs in the living room and made a fireplace following Otterine's fireplace tutorial, only halving the measurements.  For my fireplace, I cut strips of wood for the sides and scribed them.  I cut a piece of wood to go along the top and notched it all along the side to create part of the dental molding.  I glued a piece of cove molding on top of that.  For the circle pattern in the corner blocks I used a spring hammer from an eyelet setting kit.





Fireplace close up


No comments: